Many specialized inspection teams, with many different disciplines, regularly conduct inspections at various licensing sites, including USDA sites. Some states, known as contracting states, have agreements with the NRC that give them the power to regulate radioactive material within their borders. In the particular situation of federally controlled sites in contracting states, nrc retains jurisdiction. As a state party to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) (a state with which NRC entered into an effective agreement under paragraph 274b of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954) requires DEP, Bureau of Radiation Protection, to register annually certain equipment that is licensed in Section 31.5 of Title 10 U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR 31.5). NRC supports states that have expressed interest in implementing NRC regulatory authority support programs in accordance with the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 as amended. Section 274 of the Act provides a legal basis on which NRC cedes part of its regulatory authority to states in order to license and regulate by-products (radioisotopes); raw materials (uranium and thorium); and certain quantities of special nuclear materials. The mechanism for transferring authority from NRC to a state is an agreement signed by the Governor of the State and the Chairman of the Commission in accordance with Section 274b of the Act. NRC assistance to states that enter into agreements includes reviewing requests for state 274b agreements or amendments to existing agreements, meetings with states for discussion and settlement of RNC review submissions. recommendations for the Commission`s approval of the proposed 274b agreements. In addition, NRC organizes training and workshops; Assesses technical issues related to State Party licensing and inspections; assesses changes to the state rule Participates in the Activities of the Conference of Directors of the Radiation Control Program, Inc.; and provides rapid and substantial state participation in regulation and other regulatory efforts. Nrc also coordinates with contracting states the disclosure of event information and responses to allegations that have been notified to RNCs with the participation of contracting states.

Anyone using materials or derived materials made from a high-powered particle accelerator must first obtain a state license for radioactive materials. Manufacturers of accelerator equipment cannot provide equipment to individuals in the state unless they have a recent license issued by the department or any other non-governmental licensing body. For instructions and the reciprocity license application, click on the link below.